« Photographer's Retreat - Outer Banks NC - Spring 2011 | Main | Family Photography - Greenville NC - Sara & Marcus »

Be The Match - Be the one to save a life

This blog post is very dear to my heart, please take a minute of your time to read it and even pass it on.  Right before Thanksgiving we got the news that Chris' brother, Chad,  was diagnosed with a very aggressive leukemia.  It was heart stopping to know someone we loved so much was about to have a battle for his life.  Immediately he began treatment and the search for a bone marrow donor was on!! Five months later, after rounds of chemo Chad is still in need of a match.  He recently finished a round of chemo at the Mayo clinic and the doctors told him there was a 90% chance the leukemia would return without a marrow donor.  For all of us who know and love him, we are believing he will be in that 10% but we are also trying with everything in our power to find a donor that could possibly save his life!  That is why this post is so important to me and my family!!!  Chad has been in the national registry for months and although he has had some possibilities, none of the donors have been a complete match. As his family we refuse to believe that there is no match, so with all our heart we are asking you to join with us to try and save Chad.  By joining this registry you are not just giving Chad a chance at life but many others, just like Chad that are fighting just to live.  Everyday we wake up and take for granted we can go to work, hug our children, go on vacation, or just sleep in our own beds.  So I am asking and yes I am even pleading.... PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give the chance of life to someone else.  Many of you are nervous of what this commitment involves and I can assure I have been there and I understand.  I'm not sure there is anyone that is more afraid of a medical procedure than me, including needles.  Just this past week I facebooked about me crying in the dentist chair because I am literally that afraid of needles.  So if anyone understands the  hesitation I promise I do.  I even said I would be glad to do it if I could help Chad but I wasn't sure about being in a national registry.  Now I'm not proud of myself for saying, matter of fact I'm pretty ashamed I let me fear hold me back from possible saving a life.  But I share that to let each of you know I understand!! I with all my heart understand the fear!! But when it comes down to it someone's life should trump my fear!!  So, as you read this I ask a few favors:

#1- Go HERE to see what is involved with being a donor and please consider joining the registry.  This site gives a complete description of what is involved and answers any and every question you might have.

#2- Pass this blog post on to everyone you know in an effort to get as many as we possibly can to join the registry.  Email it, do your own blog post, talk about it, facebook it, twitter it, however you can please spread the word!!

#3- Pray with our family that Chad will receive the donor he so desperately needs!! He has been the most positive person through all of the treatment and for those of you who have witnessed treatment you know it can be grueling!!

#4- Consider purchasing a puzzle piece for $5 to help us raise money for Chad.  For more information and directions click HERE

So there it is.... PLEASE help us save Chad and so many others that want to LIVE!!!!

Just so you know joining the registry is the easiest thing I have ever done.  Once you sign up online, you get a kit in the mail to swap the inside of your mouth and then you return it in the postage paid envelope they provide.  It is simple and easy!!!! 

here's what you get in the mail

all the info and directions included

simply swab your mouth

put it in the prepaid envelope and possibly save a life!!

Chad, their daughter Madison, and his beautiful wife, Andrea, a few years ago after they got married

Posted on Friday, April 22, 2011 at 11:48PM by Registered CommenterCrutchfield Photography in | Comments8 Comments

Reader Comments (8)

I am already on the bone marrow register list. My friend's daughter who was 8 months at the time was diagnosed with leukemia. She had a transplant (not 100% match) but is in remission and is 4 now.

Praying for Chad.

April 23, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterKim

i would be so happy to give anything. I am living in france & I do not know if I can participate as a donor? Keep all of you in my prayers! love

April 23, 2011 | Unregistered Commenterstephane

Is it possible to be tested specifically to see if someone is a match for Chad?

I would like to do the test and see if possible.

How can I help?

April 23, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterChad

I just did this last week! It is so easy to do and a simple way to save someone's life. I hope everyone considers it. Praying for your family!

April 23, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterLauren Heath

I am praying for your family and for Chad. I am signing up to receive my packet tonight! I will pass this post to my friends and family! You got this Chad!

April 24, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterKate

I am a card holding member of the bone marrow registry... wouldnt mind being tested!!

April 25, 2011 | Unregistered Commenteramanda burns whitted

saw your tweet at chasejarvis... I registered and will get my swab kit in a week. Good luck. My prayers are with you.

April 25, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterEvon

Chad is my brother in law.My daughter & I both received our test kits on Chads birthday & we live in different states!It was so simple to see if we could be a match!Please people,JUST DO IT!

May 1, 2011 | Unregistered CommenterDenise Gosney

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>